Our History

The Ramakrishna Mission SevaSamiti, Karimganj had its modest beginning through the hands of some local devotees in the year 1917 under inspiration of Srimat Swami PremeshanandajiMaharaj (then ShriIndradayalBhattacharjee) of Sylhet.In 1929, the SevaSamitiof Karimganj was recognised by the Belur Math as a Sub-Centre of the SylhetRamakrishna ashram.

         After partition of India, Karimganj was separated from Sylhetdistrict and theBelur Math authority finally affiliatedthis centre as an independent Branch Centre from 1st October 1947. With the affiliation of the centre, Swami GopeshwaranandajiMaharaj was appointed as its first Secretary.  After his tenure, the responsibility was carried out successively by Swami ShivaramanandajiMaharaj (AchintyaMaharaj), Swami SattwanandjiMaharaj, Swami UdgithanandajiMaharaj and then Swami NareshanandajiMaharaj. Presently, Swami Prabhasananda is the Secretary of this centre.